Friends help friends when they can. Among our friends living outdoors there are some common needs (socks, razors, etc.) and some less common needs (sleeping bags and so on). With either our goal is to help as friends and not as a hand out or a “gimmie.” This means we give things out face-to-face and we respond to special needs as they come up in conversations. When you gift us with items from the list below you can know that they will go where they are actually needed and they will be part of us telling our friends that they are worth something. Thank you for considering being a part of this work.
- Men’s crew socks (both black and white)
- Gift cards to RiteAid & Safeway, any amount. We use these to fill prescriptions for our friends, & to buy food & supplies.
- Travel-sized deodorant, foot powder (Gold Bond is best), and razors.
- McDonald’s, Subway or Starbucks gift cards.
- Tri-Met one-day or one-trip passes to assist in getting people to various appointments; medical, job & otherwise.
Cold weather gear. We’re also always gearing up for winter. While it’s great to experience the giving spirit in December the need for these items will start in October and go into March. Can you help us keep our friends warm?
- Sleeping bags should be 20 degree, dark colors only (black is best), and as durable as possible. There is an Army surplus bag out there, usually about $40, that fits the bill perfectly but it’s not easy to find them. Here’s an example from Amazon.
- Remember – if you’re ordering from Amazon we are a Smile partner. Look us up in their system as “Homepdx Church” or use the hotlink http://smile.amazon.com/ch/26-3637460.
- Hand warmers should be long-lasting, like 8 hours or so.
- Durable blankets.
Camping gear. Gus regularly tells folks that anything that you’d want on “the camping trip from hell” is probably something some of our friends would like as well (DON’T BUY THESE THINGS NEW but if you find them used or collecting dust In your basement we’d love to pass them along):
- Compact single burner camp stoves
- Quality 2 man tents
Big asks. Some things we really need to continue to reach out to our outdoor friends. Talk to us, please, if you might be able to help with one of these.
- Food teams to prepare, deliver and serve a hot meal once every two months. We ask for 200 servings, no small task, but we’ve enjoyed support from churches, families and small groups that have made this work. We have one Sunday lunch slot and a number of Wednesday dinner slots.
- Monthly supporters. One-time donations are helpful. Monthly supporters are the foundation we stand on. They allow us to budget and do our work month after month all year long. Right now we’re trying to raise enough to start a new outreach offering a day space for sleeping. Only one other space exists for this downtown and they are about to lose their lease.
- $10,000 donation. This would do two things at once. Part of it would create a buffer in our bank account to remove the stress of counting pennies at the end of each month. The other part would enable us to say “yes” to some of the bigger asks, like a gentleman whose birthday gift of a bike was stolen two days later. We REALLY wanted to replace that for him, but didn’t have the funds on hand to make it happen. We know this is a big ask, but if there’s that one person out there who could make it happen it would be felt by many of our friends outdoors.
2,659 total views, 2 views today